Clients > SAFEGUARDING & COMPLIANCE
As an organisation, Sanctuary adheres stringently to the safe recruitment guidelines for those working with vulnerable people, as set out through the policies of Crown Commercial Service, Ofsted, the NHS and all local and national government legislation.
Candidates registering with Sanctuary are required to provide the below documents/information in order for background and suitability of employment checks to be completed. (List is not exhaustive)
- Original social work qualification certificate (applicable for qualified roles)
- Professional registration (applicable for qualified roles) – an online check of current registration will also be made. In addition we will carry out weekly checks on registration status (the industry standard is every four weeks)
- Proof of identity
- Proof of eligibility to work within the UK
- Professional referee details for the last 5 years
- Any training certificates applicable
These documents will be copied and attached to candidate files for future reference and audit purpose.
CRIMINAL RECORD AND BARRED LIST CHECKS
Sanctuary will conduct appropriate checks to ensure all candidates are suitable to work within the service they are applying for.
For positions involving work with vulnerable service users, a background check through Sanctuary will be required by one of the following bodies:
- Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS), including Barred List checks - England and Wales
- Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) - Scotland
We will apply for an overseas police check if the candidate has been outside the UK for any period over 6 months.
Sanctuary is a DBS umbrella body (DBS Registered Body Number 29688400006), enabling us to process online DBS applications in-house, often resulting in a faster turnaround.
EMPLOYMENT HISTORY & REFERENCES
All candidates are required to provide a full working history with any breaks in employment explained. Sanctuary will seek professional references for the last 5 years of employment as standard.
If you wish to discuss any element of our compliance procedure, please contact our Head of Compliance, Gemma Bones on 0333 7000 022.